Articles Comments

Reef Mag » Entries tagged with "seagrass"

Seagrass Survey #1

This is the first of my surveys to count individual seagrass leaves in my aquarium. I’m hoping it will enable me to better estimate how the grass is doing. It’s quite simple, no chemical analysis is provided, just a simple count of new and old growth. Halophila Anecdotal Impression of Leaf Health: 4/10 (declining) Total Leaf Pairs: 87 Emerging Pairs: 8 Decaying Pairs: 9 Epiphytic Coverage: 30% diatoms Cymodocea Anecdotal Impression of Leaf Health: 5/10 (increasing) Total Sheaths: 54 Emerging Sheaths: 4 Decaying/Dormant Sheaths: 12 New Leaves: 11 Decaying Leaves: 19 Epiphytic Coverage: 20% diatoms Syringodium Anecdotal Impression of Leaf Health: 3/10 (declining) Total Sheaths: 32 Emerging Sheaths: 3 Decaying/Dormant Sheaths: 0 New Leaves: 7 Decaying Leaves: 3 Epiphytic Coverage: 50% diatoms (esp in upper reaches) Main Issues Diatom coverage of leaves. I have added several Strombus sp. to help ease the issue but they are unable to reach very far up the leaf … Read entire article »

Filed under: Seagrass Lagoon Biotope

Day 77 Video

The nice Halophila growth continues this week. The Tang and Jawfish are looking active and happy. The Kole Tang is still doing a great job cleaning the seagrass of epiphytes. The benthic bac issues are slowly fading, hoooray! OK, probably premature but get it whilst you can I say. Here is the vid: httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpuMJY1lbIk … Read entire article »

Filed under: Seagrass Lagoon Biotope

Day 70 video and the BBA club

Following on from my last post I was lucky enough to have Scott Fellman confirm that I am indeed seeing new growth, In fact in the ensuing days many new sprigs of Halophila are sprouting through! I am also seeing new blades on the Cymodocea. I will post some pictures tomorrow. The only plant not to show any visible new growth is the Syringodium – which is odd considering it initially appeared to have taken well to transplanting. It still looks healthy but it is certainly less dense than it was. I’d also like to thank Scott for his invaluable help by plugging his great article: http://reefbuilders.com/2010/01/23/slipping-into-seagrasses-making-the-case-for-aquariums-going-green/ Scott also brought up some points in discussion I should address. Most seagrasses don’t take too kindly to shipment and go through an initial period … Read entire article »

Filed under: Seagrass Lagoon Biotope

Seagrass Ahoy

Seagrass Ahoy

The seagrass finally arrived today, and how! I was expecting one rhizome per plant order but instead got a whole bag stuffed with seagrass. Waaaay too much in reality. Here is how it arrived: I learnt a lot from trying to plant the Cymodocea serrulata. I spread the roots out in one big bundle, dug a big hole in my substrate and tried to plant it. Epic fail. To be fair I gave it a good old go. … Read entire article »

Filed under: Featured, Seagrass Lagoon Biotope

Day 42 Video, Seagrasses inbound, New fish on horizon

Amwell have ordered my seagrasses and they should be here on the 19th!! …and I have reserved a Jawfish at the LFS. I’m guessing it is probably an undocumented species. Certainly doesn’t seem to match any on fishbase. I have seen mention of a “Ruby” Jawfish but it was never formally identified. httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vQUyHTc8so … Read entire article »

Filed under: Seagrass Lagoon Biotope